founded 1953 ~ incorporated 1956
In The Beginning......
A scattered group of archery enthusiasts got together on a cold day in February, 1953 to talk about organizing an archery club.|
The meeting was held in the old library building at Maywood Avenue and Passiac Street, Maywood. The building has since been torn down and a small park is in it's place.
No one knew the direction the Club would take on that day. All those who attended knew that there was a need to share their fledgling sport with others.
There were not only new bowhunters in attendance, but there was interest by some target shooters as well.
It may be interesting to note that licensing for bowhunters had begun only five years prior in 1948.
And so the BERGEN BOWMEN Archery Club was formed.......
Harry Kuhles, Charter member, First President and First Bulletin Editor From our 25th Anniversary Bulletin (1953-1978)